MOSSE FAMILY NOTES.
The Rev.Charles H.Mosse, M.A.
Vicar of Aldwick.Sussex.
Reproduced August 2013 by kind permission of Mrs Barbara Mosse of Chichester.
M. B. Mosse, editor.
Lancashire and N.Wales.
Bedfordshire and London
The Westmorland Branch.
5. Pedigree Tables.
Possible extension of)
SOME DATES IN THE STORY.
1256. John, son of William de Mosse beheaded.
1359. John Mosse disputes with the Abbot of Fountains.
cl490. Robert Mosse living at Winwick,Lancashire.
C1540. Peter Mosse of Heggerskele,Stainmore,born.
cl550. Robert Mosse of Broughton,Flintshire,bears Arms.
1551. Bedfordshire Pedigree begins.
1561. Mosse entries begin in register of Brough-under-
1563. Mosse entries begin in register of Crosthwaite.
1581. Mosse entries begin in register of Crosby
1583. Mosse entries begin in register of St.Michaels
1593. Robert Mosse married at Pinchbeck,Lincolnshire.
1595. Norfolk Pedigree begins.
1597. Mosse entries begin in register of Warcop.
1615. Will of Peter Mosse of Heggetskale.
1622. Flintshire Pedigree and Arms registered.
1633. Grant of Arms to Clement Mosse of London.
1650. Mosse entries begin in register of Kirby Stephen.
1660. Irish Pedigree begins.
1666. Westmorland Pedigree begins.
MOSSE FAMILY NOTES.
1. EARLY BEGINNINGS.
It seems highly probable that
the story of the family begins in Westmorland,since the first
record of the name occurs in the Westmorland Assize Roll of
1256. The relevant extract,(which can be found in Volume 13
of the New Series of the Transactions of the Cumberland and
Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society,published
in 1913), is as follows:-
"Pleas of the Crown for the County of Westmorland before
"R.de Thurkelbi and his Associates,itinerant justices at
"Appleby on Monday next before the Ascension of Our Lord in
"the 40th. year of the reign Henry 3rd.
"The body of the County came by twelve Jurors(M 10 dores)
"John son of William de Mosse,Thomas the forester of Kendale
"and Geoffrey son of William Brere broke into the house of
"Alexander de Scalchiweit in Sealegil and carried away his
"goods. And John was afterwards caught and beheaded. He had no
"chattels. And Thomas and Geoffrey fled and were suspected.
"Therefore they were outlawed. Their chattels are not known
"because they are strangers (extranei). And the vill of
"Salegeyl did not make suit. Therefore it is in mercy."
There are several interesting
points in this record. First of all it shows that the family
were well settled in Westmorland by the early part of the 13th.
century. They were not strangers. The fact that John had no
chattels was no doubt due to his being a young man who was
still living at home with his father. But the most interesting
point in the record is that John was beheaded, a punishment
usually reserved for people of some importance; the ordinary
person was generally hung. We cannot,of course, put too much
weight into this argument nor is there any evidence William
de Mosse did actually hold a position of importance. Yet the
fact that John was beheaded seems worth noting.
Such raids as the one of which
this record tells were quite ordinary daily occurences at this
period and in this district. It was a lawless time when men
were apt to settle their quarrels according to their own in-
clinations; although by 1250 AD Henry 3 had already achieved
a large degree of order even in this independent part of
There is one further point to
mention in connection with this record from the Assize Roll.
There is a very persistent and firmly held tradition in all
the different branches of the Mosse family that Arms were
given by King Richard Coeur de Lion to a Philip Mosse whom he
knighted for his valour during the seige of Acre at the time
of the third Crusade. It is impossible to prove this, but an
oral tradition of such great strength as this cannot possibly
be overlooked, and indeed it may be said to have been perpet-
uated by the battlements of a tower forming part of the crest
granted by the College of Arms,which will be referred to again
in the paragraph on Armorial History. The point which may be
noticed here in connection with the record in the Assize Roll
is that William de Mosse could have been the son of the Philip
who is said to have been knighted. The dates fit in quite
The name Mosse is almost
certainly a place name. William is described in the Assize
Roll as "of Mosse". The name Mosse is the usual designation
for a bog or marshy place, but where the waste land lay which
has given this name to the family is not known. Possibly it
may be the Solway Moss, though these regions of the Border
and the northern part of Westmorland have a large number of
such places. It has been suggested that the name is of
Norman origin, but Mr.Lewis C Loyd, who made an extensive
study of the places of origin of many Anglo-Norman families
does not mention Mosse. Vol.103 of the Harleian Societies
publications in 1951 deals with these families.
2. BRANCHING OUT.
(a) Members of the family soon
began to leave these Northern regions and to move Southward.
There appear to have been two routes of immigration,one through
Keswick to Lancashire and North Wales. The other through Yorkshire
And Nottinghamshire to Lincolnshire and Norfolk. It is the latter
route which supplies the first record. John Mosse,Lord of the
manors of Preston and Edlyngton near Boston in Lincolnshire had
a dispute with the Abbot of Fountains Abbey in the year 1359.
The account of this dispute is contained in the Chartulary of
Fountains Abbey and this can be read in "Chartulary of Fountains
Abbey,Abstracts of the Charters and other documents"; by
William T.Lancaster, F.S.A. 1015. Vol. 1.
The account of this dispute
begins on page 118. It was concerned with the right of John
Mosse to hold the lands and to claim rent from the Abbot.
The dispute was settled in John's favour."fo.237.b 11 c.
Charter by John Mosse of Leek,Lord of the Manor of Freston
"which is called Petchehall, reciting that he lately claimed
"from Robert, Abbot of Fountains, certain services as belonging
"to his said manor from a messuage called Fountaynhouses with
"a culture of arable land and a windmill in the vill of
"St.Botulph: having inspected the charters relating thereto
"which the Abbot and Convent hold, he has granted and confirmed
"to them the said property with the appurtenances (fo 238) to
"hold from him and his heirs for ever, rendering a rose yearly
"for all the services due at his Courts, and he will acquit
"and defend against all men. Testimonium. At Leek 6th
"January 1360. Test. Matthew de Leek, Laurence de Leek,Roger
"de Grymescroft, John Bell,Richard del Clay of Leek and others."
When the dispute had been thus
settled in a way which was satisfactory to both parties, the
Abbot and Convent recognised John’s generosity in granting them
the quit rent of a rose and in return granted him the
privileges of a lay brother. The quotation given above con-
"12.INENTURE witnessing that whereas the Abbot and Convent
"held from John Mosse of Leek the previously named messuage,
land and windmill in St.Botulphs by the service of a rose
"yearly John has granted to them the property to hold in pure
"and perpetual alms from service etc. And for this grant they
"have made him a sharer in all the blessings (beneficiorum)of
"their house,as if he were a brother thereof, and when his death
"is announced to the Abbot and Convent (fo.238b) they shall do
"for him what is accustomed to be done for a brother of the
"Cistercian Order,namely, three masses by each priest, and the
"name of John shall be inserted in their martyrology; so that
"every year John's name shall be recited in Chapter on the day
"of his death, when a special prayer shall be offered for him
"as for a deceased monk. This the Abbot and Convent have
"promised for themselves and their successors, and John and his
"heirs will defend and acquit the property against all men as
"pure and perpetual alms. Alternate seals in witness."
"In the Chapter House of Fountains, 3 April 1361."
After this event there is a
long gap which so far has not been bridged and the next record
found in this area is the marriage of Robert Mosse and Agnes
Brown on 25th August 1593 in the register of Pinchbeck Lincoln-
shire, a place a little to the north of Spalding. The same
register also records Mosse marriages in the years 1609, 1622,
1627, 1633, 1658, 1668 and 1725: with the exception of that in
1627 they are all brides.
The Robert and Agnes Mosse
married at Pinchbeck may have left there soon after the wedding
and settled at Postwick in Norfolk. The pedigree of the
Norfolk family begins with a Robert and Agnes who could
possibly have come from Lincolnshire. This family remained for
at least two centuries in Postwick during which time the
registers of the parish contain the entry of 47 Mosse baptisms
and 36 burials. There are also 3 weddings. The Pedigree of
this Norfolk branch of the family is attached at the end of this
book. No. 1.
We may now follow the other
route of immigration for the family from the North through
Keswick to Lancashire and North Wales.
The registers of Crosthwaite,
Cumberland, which is the mother Church of the neighbourhood,
contain a large number of entries for the name of Mosse.
Between the years 1570 and 1657 there are 69 entries of Baptisms;
between 1563 and 1656 marriages number 44, and from 1564 until
1670 there are 50 burials. These people lived in St.Johns Vale
and were all farmers. When Queen Elizabeth I,together with
Lord Burghley,the Earl of Leicester and others organised a German
mining company to work the gold mines, we find Christopher Mosse
of Burekhedmyr and Gawen Mosse of Keswick selling peat to the
miners and Christopher taking rent for the use of a road to
Wesco. The original account books of the German miners 1564-
1577 were translated and transcribed by W.G.Collingwood,M.A.
F.S.A. and published by Titus Wilson, Highgate, Kendal, in 1912.
It would appear from the registers that there were probably a
dozen different families of the Mosses living in as many farms,
the names of which are recorded in the registers,but it is im-
possible to group them or to find the relationship of these
families with each other, although people of this name continued
to live in the neighbourhood until well into the 18th century.
The last entry of the name in the Crosthwaite register is a
burial in 1731. No connection has been found for these Mosses
of Keswick with others of the same name living in any place.
This county provides a record
earlier by a 100 years than that of Keswick. Among the records
in the possesion of the College of Arms, London, there is a
number of pedigrees collected by Augustine Vincent, an anti-
quarian who worked under the patronage of Ralph Sheldon Esq.,
of Weston, Warwickshire. Mr. Vincent became Winsor Herald in
1624 and had previously made a Visitation of Cheshire and
North Wales. Among his papers which were bought from him by
Mr.Ralph Sheldon, who gave them to the College of Arms, there
is the Mosse pedigree reproduced on the following page. The
College library reference is Vincent 135/360.
This pedigree was made out
for Robert Mosse who was alive in 1622, the year in which the
pedigree was officially recorded, by which time he and his wife,
who died in 1622, had had four sons and three daughters, so
Robert could not have been born later than 1590: though it is
possible that he was born ten years earlier. But if we take
the later date, 1590, and allow only thirty years for each
generation we find that the first member of the family who is
mentioned, Robert Mosse of Winwicke would have been born in
1470. These dates are interesting because a trick of arms is
attached to the pedigree and this indicates that this branch
of the family was entitled to bear arms by the middle of the
16th century. What subsequently became of this family is not
known. Efforts have been made to trace their descendants but
with no success. It should be noted that there is no connection
known to exist between this family in Lancashire and Flintshire
and the various families at Keswick, or the family at Postwick
in Norfolk. Although originally in the 12th century there may
Robertus Mosse of =
Johannes Mosse of =
Robertus Mosse of = Johanna,daur and sole
Broughton,Co.Flint heir of Ledgham of
by right of his wide. Broughton
Recorder of Hawarden.
| | |
Jacobus Mosse de = Alicia Johes Mosse de = Margareta daur Margareta,wife of
Broughton 2nd son Oakes Broughton,Co of Morgan Clagg Ellis Younge of
| Flint of Kinderton,D'n. Shorley,co.Flint.
| | | | | |
Radulphus =? Anna wife of Margarita wife Robertus Mosse = Margarita daur.of Katherine Elizabeth Morgan
Mosse,2nd son Will Eckles of of Thom. Mitchell de Broughton Richard Blundell wife of John wife of S.P.
Werwyn.Co.Oswtr. of Bretton. ao.dom.l622 of Clysedon in Com. Wofall of Henry Denton
| South'ton d.1621 Hoper Place. Of Werwyn.
| | | | | |
William. Radulphus. Katherine. Alicia. Jane. _____________|__________________________________________________________
| | | | | | |
William. Peter. Johannes Mosse = Richard. Rosa. Katherine. Anna.
son and heir.
2 3 4
have been the one family settled in the North, by the middle
of the 16th century the result of migration was the formation
of separate and unconnected families in various parts of
The records of the College of
Arms include a short pedigree of a family of Mosse, members
of which left Bedfordshire for London at the same time that
the family we have just been considering were living in Flintshire.
But here again there is no traceable connection between the
Bedfordshire and the Flintshire families. Yet the evidence of
Arms shows that these two families were connected in some way
This evidence will be found in the paragraph on Armorial History.
The Bedfordshire pedigree re-
corded at the College of Arms is :-
John Mosse of
Horton Regis in =
Co. Beds. |
Thomas Mosse of = Elizabeth,daut,
London | of ----- Cromming
| of Cork,Ireland.
Clement Mosse of = Susanna,daut. of
London.Comptroller | George Webb of
of the Chamber of | London.
| | |
daut.unmarried Susan Mosse,wife of
Elizabeth wife of
1633. Robert Marsh of London Valantine Pettit of London
This short pedigree has been
enlarged by the help of the Bedfordshire Record Office and the
enlarged pedigree will be found attached at the end of this
book No.2: it includes Thomas’ father, his brothers, and also
It will be noticed that Thomas
Mosse of London married a lady whose family lived at Cork in
Ireland. There is an Irish branch of the family whose pedigree
down to modern times is also attached, No.3. The records of
this family begin with a Michael Mosse who was born at Cork
about 1630, a hundred years or more later than the John Mosse
who heads the Bedfordshire pedigree. Whether there is really
any connection between the Bedfordshire and the Irish branches
we cannot tell but it is remarkable that Thomas Mosse of
Bedfordshire married Elizabeth Cromming of Cork in about the
year 1570, and that Michael Mosse of Cork heads the pedigree
of the Irish branch, especially as Thomas had an elder brother
named Michael who was born about 1538 and so could be an
The first five generations of
the Irish branch from Michael Mosse of Cork to the children of
the Rev.Peter Mosse 1750-1810 are recorded in the Genealogical
Office, Office of Arms, Dublin Castle, the reference is G.O.384.
Donovan M.S. P.145 and also in G.O.729.
(g) OTHER PLACES.
A branch of the family settled
in Staffordshire and there are members of it alive to-day.
This branch and their pedigree have been fully documented and
described by Mr.Arthur W.Moss of Erdington,Staffs, in a book
which he published in 1937. There was also a family of Mosse
settled at East Markham. Nottinghamshire, in the latter part
of the 16th.century; with a few scattered records in other parts
of the same County.
So far no other settled groups
of the family have been found, but there are records of individual
priests in other parts of England. My father, the late
Dr.Herbert Mosse, F.S.A. compiled the following list.
1394 William Mosse, of Lamport, Northants
1438 Simon Mosse, of Chaily, Sussex
1543 William Mosse, of Waldron, Sussex
In Northants, Henry Mosse at
Weedon, Pinkney from 1498 to 1512. Richard Mosse at Isham 1564.
Richard Mosse at Hanington 1607 and John Mosse at the same place
in 1611. There are also Simon Mosse in the list of Rectors of
Greystoke. Cumberland in 1567, and the Rev.Miles Mosse,Vicar
of Bury St.Edmunds, Suffolk 1586-1619. It is noticeable that
in the parish registers after about 1680 the name is often spelt
Moss whereas previous to that date the name of the same family
was spelt Mosse. The Staffordshire family started as Mosse
and is now Moss. The Dean of Ely who was a member of the Norfolk
(Postwick) family dropped the 'e' from his name. Mention
should also be made of a family in Sussex of the name of Mose
who use the Arms but with the tinctures reversed; Ermines a
cross pattee argent. There were a very large number of this
family in Sussex during the 16th and 17th centuries, the best
known being settled in Petworth.
A NOTE ON THE RECORDS AT CARLISLE.
In the Introduction to Volume IX of the Transactions of the
Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society:
Testaments Karleolensia, or the wills in the pre-reformation
Episcopal Registers of Carlisle, published in 1893 by Messrs, C.
Thurnam & Sons,Carlisle; the Editor,R.S.Ferguson Esq.,quotes Canon
Raine (Historical Papers and Letters from the Northern Registers,
published in 1873) who writes :-
"The Episcopal Registers at Carlisle prior to the Reformation"
"consist of only two volumes which contain the acts of five con-"
"secutive bishops extending from the year 1292 to the close almost"
"of the fourteenth century. It is much to be regretted that in a"
"city like Carlisle so few documentary memorials should have been"
"preserved." Mr. Ferguson goes on to say "That no records exist"
"of the See of Carlisle earlier than 1292 is due to the Great Fire"
"which in May of that year destroyed almost the whole of the City"
"of Carlisle." The subsequent destruction of the other registers
Mr.Ferguson suggests may be attributed to the great Civil War, when
Rose Castle, the seat of the Bishops of Carlisle, was twice held for
the Royalists, twice captured by the Parliamentarians, and ultimately
in l648 burnt. From 1641 to 1656 the See of Carlisle was held 'in
commendam' by Archbishop Usher, who probably never saw the place,and
from 1656 to 1660 it was absolutely vacant; it is a wonder that any
In this Volume IX of the Transactions one hundred and fifty-seven
wills, mostly of the Clergy, are transcribed from the Episcopal
Registers. These wills cover a period of thirty-two years, the first
will being dated 2nd February 1353/4 and the last 20th February
1385/6. The fortieth will in the volume is :-
Testamentum Pni Rici de Ulnesby Rectoris de Ulnesby
(i.e.Ousby in Cumberland).
In dei nomine Amen. Ego Ricardus de Ulnesby Rector
ecclesie ejus-dem die Sabbati prox. post; festum Sci
Mathie Apostoli anno domini MCCCLXII (Saturday after
February 24th 1361/2) condo testamentum meum, in
Item do et lego pueris Cecilie sororis mee quatuor
marcas quas Johannes del Mosse michi debet........
Ft ad istud testamentum bene et fideliter exequendum
hos constltuo executores meos viz dominum Johem de
Midleton capellanum Reginaldum Meke et Johem del Mosse
hiis testibus Thome del Bek et Roberto Wakeman et
Proved at Rose, 3rd March 1361/2.
Nothing further is known of this John Mosse unless he happens to
be the John Mosse of Leek,Lincolnshire, who made an agreement with
the Abbot of Fountains. The distance between Cumberland and
Lincolnshire would seem to be too great for this identification.
Several references have already
been made to the matter of Arms. The first reference was to
the tradition that Arms were given to Philip Mosse during the
seige of Acre by King Richard I. Whether this was so or not
it is impossible to prove, but on the other hand neither can
it be disproved. The first real evidence we have for the right
of any member of the Mosse families to bear Arms is found with
the pedigree of the family in Flintshire among the papers in
the Vincent collection. In the margin of this pedigree there
is a trick of Arms; quarterly 1 and 4 Ermine a cross pattee
sable (Mosse) 2 and 3 quarterly argent and sable four leopards’
heads countercharged (Ledgham). From this pedigree it will be
seen that Robert Mosse married Johanna Ledgham who was an
heiress, Robert therefore impaled the Arms of Ledgham with his
own and his sons and grandsons bore them quarterly. This trick
is proof that this branch of the family did regularly bear Arms
and that these Arms were recognised as regular by the College
of Arms. This Robert would have been born not later than 1540
and possibly fifteen years or so earlier; so we can say with
absolute certainty that some members of the Mosse family were
armigious as early as the middle of the 16th century.
It is not known to whom the original grant of arms was made
and although in 1622 there were six male descendants to continue
the family all knowledge of their future history has unfortunately
been lost and we must assume that this family died out; and with
them the right to bear these Arms died also, unless the arms
continued as quarterings in the arms of some other family
through the marriage of a Mosse lady who was the heiress. No
evidence of this exists however. The second occasion on which
Arms for Mosse are recorded is for Mr.Clement Mosse who in
1633 was Comptroller of the Chamber of London. There is a very
short pedigree for him recorded in. the College of Arms, the
library reference for which is C24/143 and with this pedigree
is a trick of arms; Ermine on a cross pattee sable a bezant.
This pedigree will be found on page 5. It will be noticed that
the Arms assigned to Clement Mosse are similar to those of
Robert Mosse of Flintshire but with the difference of a bezant.
Whether this Bedfordshire family were connected with the Mosse
family in Flintshire we do not know.
With the help of the Bedford-
shire County Archivist the College of Arms pedigree for Clement
Mosse has been enlarged and this enlarged pedigree is attached,
No.2. It will be seen that the additions do not link up with
the known members of the Flintshire family, and yet the
similarity of the Arms for these two families definitely indicates
that they were connected. The Arms, Ermine on a cross pattee
sable a bezant, were presumably granted to Clement Mosse and no
doubt the difference of the addition of a bezant was made for two
reasons, first to distinguish between this Bedfordshire family
and the Flintshire family; and secondly because Clement was the
Comptroller of the Chamber of London, the bezant being a
normal heraldic symbol for money. Reference to the enlarged
pedigree of this Bedfordshire family will show that not only
did Clement have no male issue but also that his uncle John
had only one son Thomas, who also left no male issue. Thomas
the father of Clement did however have another brother as well
as John and if Thomas was armigerous then his brother Michael
would also have been armigerous. Thomas appears in the pedigree
as the son of John and it may be that the Grant of Arms was
made to the male descendants of John Mosse of Horton Regis,in
which case Michael was certainly armigerous; but there is no
record of this Michael, we do.not know whether he was married
or whether he had any male issue, and we must therefore dis-
regard him. We do know however, that Clement's third daughter
Katherine married James Winstanley and it is recorded in the
Harleian M.S.1372 p.4 that James Winstanley bore Arms,
"Quarterly 1 and 4 Ermine on a cross pattee sable a bezant
for Mosse. 2. Gules a maunch ermine the hand proper holding
a fleur de lis or.(Mohune of Ireland) 3. Per fess argent and
sable three geyhounds heads couped two and one countercharged
for Webb of the Custom House." This is an interesting coat
heraldically, but what concerns us here is that James Win-
stanley quartered the Mosse Arms, which means that his wife
was co-heiress with her two sisters and therefore that there
were no male descendants to continue this Mosse line and that
this family died out.
The Genealogical Office,
Office of Arms, Dublin Castle, has a record of a Thomas Mosse
of Egliss in Kings County, whose Will dated 22 February 1670
has a seal attached which shows quarterly 1 and 4 Ermine a
cross pattee ------ 2 and 3 per pale ....... and ----- three
lions passant ------. The tinctures are not of course known
from the seal. This Thomas does not appear to have been
related to the Cork family. No further record is known of
any other of the Mosse families, who bore Arms. The Heraldic
Visitations of Cumberland and Westmorland in the year 1665
contain no record of any Mosse family bearing arms in that
district. The Chief Herald, Office of Arms, Dublin Castle,
states that "there is no indication of arms in connection
with the Mosse entry in Gen. Off.M.S.384", the pedigree which
stems from Michael Mosse of Cork whose son Michael was born
in 1660. Sir John D Heaton-Armstrong Chester Herald, has also
stated that there is no indication of arms in connection with
the Norfolk family which stems from Robert and Agnes Mosse of
Postwick. Two members of this Norfolk family are known how-
ever to have used the arms of Clement Mosse of London,namely
Robert Mosse, Dean of Ely, whose memorial in the floor of
the north aisle of Ely Cathedral includes these arms; and his
nephew Charles Mosse, Bishop of Bath and Wells, whose portrait
the present writer has seen bearing the arms of the diocese
of Bath and Wells impaled with the arms of Clement Mosse.
In a similar manner members of our own Westmorland branch of
the family have been using Clements arms for the last two
hundred years and members of the Irish branch have also been
known to do the same in recent years. Thus three distinct and
unconnected families were using the arms of another branch and
that a branch which had died out. In order to clarify this
situation the College of Arms in London was approached in 1937
and Chester Herald was asked if our family ancestry could be
traced back to someone who had the right to bear the arms,Ermine
on a cross pattee sable a bezant,with the purpose of obtaining
an official confirmation for their use.
Mr.James Mosse,M.I.C.E. had
already done a great deal of research and had compiled the
pedigree of our family reaching as far back as the marriage of
Robert Mosse of Crosby Garrett Westmorland, with Margaret
Hodgson of the same place in 1666. This pedigree was first
checked by the College of Arms and found to be accurate, the
Wills in the Probate Registry at Carlisle were then searched
but did not reveal the ancestry of Robert Mosse of Crosby
Garrett. These wills however, have furnished a possible ex-
tension of our family pedigree as far back as the death of a
Peter Mosse in 1615; but this extension remains conjectural
as is explained in the paragraph dealing with our Westmorland
branch. The work undertaken by Chester Herald was interrupted
by the Second Great War, but when, in 1950, the work having
been taken up again in 1947, it was quite clear that our ancestry
could not be traced back beyond the marriage of Robert Mosse
and Margaret Hodgson in 1666, and that therefore no connection
could be established which would prove our right to bear Arms,
a petition was made for a new Grant of Arms. A fuller explanation
of this failure is made in the paragraph about our Westmorland
The authorities at the
College of Arms dealt very considerately with this petition
and although in the circumstances they could have decided to
give us Arms of an entirely different character they generously
assigned to us Arms which are very obviously associated with
those of Clement Mosse and the Flintshire family. The blazon
of the Grant dated October 9th 1950 is:- Ermine on a cross
pattee sable fimbriated or five bezants in cross, and for the
crest on a wreath of the colours out of the battlements of a
tower or a griffin's head sable beaked gold.
No indication has been found
of a crest in connection with the Mosse family in Flintshire
and it is quite possible that they had no crest since the arms
may have been assigned to them before the period when crests
were first used. In Fairbains Book of Crests the Mosse family
of Horton Regis,Bedfordshire are stated to have this crest:
"Out of a mural crown or a griffins head ermine charged on the
"neck with a bezant." Presumably this crest was given to
Clement Mosse, certainly the mural crown indicates municipal
authority and is constantly used by Heralds for this purpose.
The griffin may be the London griffin typifying vigilance and
THE WESTMORLAND BRANCH.
The account of our own family
must begin with the marriage of Robert Mosse and Margaret
Hodgson on 12th July 1666 at Crosby Garrett. Every effort
has been made to trace the parents of this Robert Mosse but
with no success although the Parish Registers of all the
neighbouring parishes, twelve in number, in the vicinity of
Crosby Garrett have been investigated. The following parishes
have no entries at all for Mosse; Kendal, Penrith, Great Asby,
Great Musgrave, Great Ormside, Ravenstonedale, and Orton.
Shap has one entry of a marriage on 13th July 1665 and a
Baptism resulting from it. Appleby(St.Michaels) has 15
Baptisms of Mosse between 26th February 1592 and 29th March
l674: 7 Marriages between 1583 and l674, and 11 Burials be-
tween 1589 and 1676. There is no record here of a Robert
Mosse. The Registers of the other Church in Appleby, St.
Lawrence only go back as far as the year 1694 and so are no
help to us. Brough-under-Stainmore has 13 Baptisms between
1561 and 1675, 7 Marriages between 1602 and 1705, and 9
Burials between 1629 and 1703. The Registers of Warcop have
the entries of 65 Mosse Baptisms between the years 1598 and
1734; 48 Burials between 1597 and 1741, and 12 Marriages between
1599 and 1743. Crosby Ravensworth has 18 entries for Baptisms
between 1598 and 1655; 9 Marriages between 1581 and 1649; and
19 Burials between 1570 and 1666. None of these entries help
us at all in the endeavour to trace the parents of Robert Mosse
of Crosby Garrett. The only parish in the neighbourhood in
which the registers give us any help is Kirkby Stephen, in
which there are entries for 13 Baptisms between 1650 and 1669.
3 Marriages between 1660 and 1665 and 5 Burials between 1649
and 1665. The Register of Kirkby Stephen only begins in
December 1648, but the entries in this Register taken in con-
junction with the results of a search among the Wills in the
Probate Registry at Carlisle do give a possible extension to
the pedigree which stems from Robert Mosse of Crosby Garrett,
although this possible extension includes several guesses and
is too conjectural to be registered as authoritative. In this
pedigree which is No. 4 at the back of this book the dotted
lines indicate these guesses. The real,difficult lies in the
fact that there are two Robert Mosses who could be connected
with our ancestor. Thomas Mosse mentions in his Will, dated
16th May 1665, his son Robert and also his cousin Robert,
son of Michael. Peter Mosse, whose Will is dated 30th December
1690, was the brother of Michael and he also mentions this
second Robert. In making any decision as to which of these
Roberts is connected with Robert Mosse of Crosby Garrett
account must be taken of the marriage of a Robert Mosse with
Elinor Wilson at Kirkby Stephen on 10th November 1665. There
is also an entry of a Robert Mosse buried at Kirkby Stephen
24th January 1714 age 84, he would therefore have been born
in 1630. Robert son of Michael being the cousin of Thomas,
and so contemporary with him, must have been born earlier
than 1630. It is therefore reasonable to assume that it was
the son of Thomas who was buried on 24th January 1714 and most
probably it was also this Robert who married Elinor Wilson in
1665. We can also be fairly certain that Robert son of Michael
was born about 1620. It is on these suppositions that the
extension of the pedigree for Robert of Crosby Garrett has
been drawn up. There is however, one other piece of evidence.
In some old family papers which are in the possession of the
writer there is the following statement:-
"A concise Extract of a Genealogical account of my Ancestors
as given by my Father John Mosse L.L.D. to me.
The earliest account I (James
Robert Mosse) eldest son of the above John Mosse ever remember
to have heard of the family was the time they lived in
Staffordshire(as he believed). That he was born in Westmorland
near Kendal,was the son of Joseph Mosse who married a Todd
and afterwards a second wife by the name of Cooper who, became
the mother of my father. My great Grandfather Robert Mosse was
a Captain in the Army and lived after my father's memory. He
also adds that my Great Great Grandfather was of the Army and
he believes of the name of Robert. This is the farthest back
my father John Mosse could speak of the family in his own direct
It will be noted that there are
several questionable statements in this account. No connection
has been found for our branch of the family with Staffordshire:
John Mosse's grandfather was Robert Mosse who lived at Crosby
Garrett in Westmorland. This Robert Mosse died in January
1714 and was buried at Crosby Garrett. John Mosse was born
early in 1715 and could not possibly have remembered seeing
his grandfather. It also seems improbable that John's grand-
father was a Captain in the Army. Robert Mosse,the grand-
father in question, was married on 12th July 1666 and was
probably born about 1640. By the time that he was old enough
to serve in the Army the civil disturbance was drawing to an
end and it is improbable that so young a man would have held
the rank of Captain. But there was a Captain Mosse serving
in Cromwell's Army during the years l651-54, and it is possible
that this Captain Mosse was John's Great Grandfather whom he
says "was of the Army and he believes of the name of Robert."
It seems likely that John’s recollections were a little con-
fused and that it was his Great Grandfather who was a Captain
in the Army and his Grandfather was "of the Army". If this
were so then Robert son of Michael Mosse could be the Captain
Mosse and the father of Robert Mosse of Crosby Garrett. It is
a slender link with which to establish a pedigree and although
inherently possible cannot be relied upon. Therefore this
extended pedigree cannot be registered as correct; so the
pedigree recorded in the registers of the College of Arms can
only begin with the marriage of Robert Mosse in 1666 at
The evidence of the Captain
Mosse who served in Cromwell’s army is contained in the
following extracts from "Several Proceedings in Parliament",
for July 17th to 24th in the year 1651; quoted in
"Cromwelliana", a chronological detail of events compiled
from newspapers and other contemporary report of the time,
published by George Smeeton of St.Martins Lane, Charing
Cross in 1810.
"From Scotland this further and exact account from the
"headquarters, came as followeth:
"Sir, Our guns being planted on Tuesday last about II of the
"clock, against Callender House, a party was drawn out, con-
"sisting of 10 files out of every regiment, and sent out in
"several parties to be before it, and about 7 of the clock
"our guns having played all the time before but slowly,orders
"were given for the carrying of faggots, and preparations made
"for a storme, but before they fell on his Excellency sent
"in a drum,desiring there might be a conference between the
"Governour and one of his Captains,Captain Mosse, by whom he
"would send some things to offer, in order to the rendition
"of the house. Upon this they gave leave,and a capitaine was
"sent to let them know that if they did deliver up the house
"with all things in it,they should have their lives; and if
"they could not they should have no quarter,which the Govern-
"our being acquainted with slighted, and said,if my Lord would
"give him time till 8 of the clock next morning, if he were
"not relieved it should be delivered up, and desiring to know
"my Lords answer concerning the same, After Captaine Mosse
"had made report of this, he was presently sent back to let
"them know that if they did not render it up presently they
"should not expect any mercy; which message being declared
"and he returned, the ordinance and musqueteers plaid, and the
"party appointed fell on storming upon the breach and entered,
"and in lesse than halfe an houre got possession of the house.
"They had no quarter that resisted. There was 62 killed, and
"13 souldiers 17 country-men and women who came in for shelter
"(as they said) were taken prisoners, but afterwards all,
"except the souldiers,released, and a list of the souldiers
"sent to the enemy for exchange."
The second extract from
"Several,Proceedings in Parliament January 11th to 18th in the
year l654/5, also quoted in Cromwelliania is :-
"Leith, Jan.4.- Major Bramston of Col.Morgan’s regiment,
"Capt. Moss and Mr.Oates,chaplain of Col.Prides regiment,
"Lieut.Bracnan and cornet Toombes, of Col. Richs’ late regiment,
"are committed in several places to safe custody for combination
"against the government,and seeking to bring a mutiny upon the
At that time there was a growing
dissatisfaction among the Levellers, Ana-baptists and Fifth
Monarchy-men with Cromwell's methods of government. Mr.Murice
Ashley in his book "Cromwells Generals" pages 145-148 says :-
"IN the army the discontented party centered on three Colnels,
"John Okey, Matthew Alured, and Robert Saunders. These three
colonels all found themselves in London at the time the first
"Protectorate Parliament was meeting. They afterwards entered
"into confablations with Major John Wildman,the Leveller leader,
"who drew up on their behalf a manifesto which he hoped to induce
"other colenels to sign. In connection with this movement against
"the Protector the name of Major General Robert Overton appears.
"Most of the army extremists who were disappointed with Cromwell
"belonged to the left-wing sects. Colonel Nathaniel Rich, who
"like Okey, lost his command in Scotland was a Fifth Monarchy
This village is three miles west
of Kirkby Stephen,ten miles south of Appleby, and stands in the
valley at the foot of Crosby Pell. The church is built on a
steep eminence,just at the north of the village. On this hill
the early Christian missionaries raised a cross and taught the
faith to Danes and Saxons. Hence the name Crossby, the village
by the cross. Afterwards, to distinguish it from other Crossbys,
the name of its chief,Gerard, was added.
The manor of Crosby Garrett
belonged in early times to the Lords of Soulby and afterwards to
the Musgraves until late in the reign of Charles II. There is no
manor house in Crosby Garrett because the Musgraves lived else-
where. Within the manor there are about forty tenements, only
two or three of them are freehold, and the rest customary; some
by indenture at an eight penny fine, and the others arbitrary.
The feudal system,with its land tenure based on service was still
in operation here until well into the nineteenth century. Two
of the services, fetching boon coals from the Stainmore pits
and mowing the lords' meadows were being regularly performed
With the accession of King
James I in l603,when England and Scotland were united under
one sovereign and the age-long feud between Scots and English
should have ceased, but did not, the king wanted the lords of
the Border to surrender their estates to him because the need
for military service against the Scots was alleged to be finished.
Some of the Lords compromised with the king for money payments
and then in their turn sought to recoup themselves from their
tenants. At this time Sir Philip Musgrave held the manors
Crosby Garrett,Hartley,part of Kirkby Stephen, Little and
Great Musgrave, Soulby, and part of Bleatarn. Several of the
tenants in some of the manors combined against the new state
of affairs and filed a petition in Chancery against the demands
of Sir Philip. The result was a decree in Chancery dated 18th
May 1636 by which Sir Philip agreed to "confirm their estates
"to the tenants and their heirs respectively by the same tenure
"as they and their ancestors had formerly holden": "and the
"tenants do unanimously agree to yield and pay to Sir Philip
"Musgrave for the present the sum of money as shall amount
"unto twenty years rent for every tenement and ever after
"upon the death of the Lord; and upon change of tenant "by death
"or alienation a fine certain of eight years rent and no more.
"It is admitted that any of the said Customary Tenants may sell
"or mortgage their messuages or tenements without licence and
"consent of the Lord provided that presentation is made at the
"next court and payment of such fines as are set forth in the
"decree upon sale or death and do Fealty to the Lord for the
"lands whereof he shall he admitted tenant." To enable the
tenants to keep their messuages and tenements in repair the
lord grants to them "all such woods,underwoods and trees
"growing upon such premises at their pleasure to fell, cut
"down and convert to their use and to sell to one another but
"not to strangers." The lord confirms their estates to the
tenants "to enjoy the same in certain course of customary
"inheritance to descend from ancestor to next heir as land
"and to descend after the ancestors death,dying in possession
"in default of male heir to the eldest of his daughters,sisters
"or heirs female only, and not to them all equally as co-heirs
"according to the course of common law."
The extracts from this Decree
show very clearly the manner in which our ancestors held their
land and the conditions under which it was inherited. Un-
fortunately forty-two years later another dispute arose
between the tenants and their Lord. In an agreement dated
April 30th 1678 the tenants at Crosby Garrett combined to
resist a general fine which Sir Richard Musgrave was attempting
to levy, and agreed to defend any suite or action brought
against them in Law or Equity, paying their proportions of costs
according to the amounts of their ancient rents. The list of
twenty nine tenants which is part of this agreement is headed
by Robert Mosse who,twelve years previously had married
Margaret Hodgson in the Church at Crosby Garrett. Only three
of these tenants were able to write their names, all the rest
signing by marks, including Robert Mosse.
For the Westmorland Pedigree at the end of this Book No.5.
Robert Mosse: born c1640,buried 10th January 1714/5.
The impossibility of any certain knowledge of this man’s
parentage has already been fully explained. The first in-
formation which we have of him is his marriage with Margaret
Hodgson,recorded in the parish register at Crosby Garrett
on 12th July 1666. He next appears as heading the list of
tenants in the Agreement drawn up on April 30th 1678 although
he was not actually entered upon the Court Rolls of the Manor
of Crosby Garrett until 31st January 1687. The writer examined
these Court Rolls on June 13th 1951 in the office of George H.
Heelis Esq.,Solicitor,in Appleby. The Heelis family have been
Stewards of the Manor for several centuries, but though
Mr.George Heelis helped in the search, no earlier date could
be found. However in the Agreement of 1678 the rent paid by
each tenant is entered against his name and the rent here noted
as paid by Robert Mosse is one shilling and a penny,which is
the same amount that is entered on the Court Rolls. These
entries for Robert Mosse are:-
1687 January 31st. entered as tenant.
1691 April 17th. appears in the list of tenants.
1695 July 4th. appears in the list of tenants.
1703 August 25th. took one cottage,Rent 1s.1d.Fine 8s.8d.
1706 October 31st. appears in the list of tenants.
Robert’s Will, dated 30th
December 1714,is a very simple one bequeathing a sum of £5 to
"my loving wife",small sums of money to his children Joseph
and Mary and "all the rest and residue of my personal Estate
Goods and Chattels unto my loving daughter Elizabeth Mosse
full and sole executor of this my last Will". This Will was
proved at Appleby, 9th March 17l4/5 and granted to the
Robert Mosse was buried at
Crosby Garrett 10th January 1714/5.
Margaret Hodgson, daughter of
Robert Hodgson, was baptized at Crosby Garrett 16th January
1641. Her father was a tenant of the Manor. Margaret is
mentioned in the wills of her father,1667, who was buried at
Crosby Garrett on 23rd February 1667, and of her husband. She
was buried 9th September 1719 aged 78 years.
By their marriage, Robert and
Margaret Mosse had three children; Elisabeth, who was baptized
23rd September 1666; Mary, baptized 18th May 1669; and Joseph,
baptized 7th May 1676. Nothing is known about the two daughters
except the mention of them in their father’s will.
Joseph Mosse: there are four entries in the Court Rolls, as
1715 June 1st. Joseph Mosse appears in the list of tenants
1715 June 1st. Joseph Mosse took one cottage. Rent 1s.1d.
1725 May 4th. Joseph Mosse paid Rent 1s. Fine £1.0.0.
1725 May 4th. Joseph Mosse took one house and garth.
Rent 1s. Fine 8s.
Joseph married Margaret Todd 4th March 1696 at Crosby Garrett
and by her had one daughter Mary, who was baptized 4th May
1701 and was buried 7th May 1716. Margaret, Joseph's first
wife, was buried at Crosby Garrett 6th June 1708. On 15th
October 1713, Joseph married Elizabeth Cowper at Kirkby
Stephen and by her had a son John who was baptized at
Crosby Garrett 18th November 1714.
Joseph Mosse was Churchwarden
of Crosby Garrett in 1721 and was buried there 10th December
The Rev.John Mosse D.C.L. was baptized at Crosby Garrett
18th November 1714. He matriculated at Queens College,Oxford,
1st July 1735, aged 21 years, The Founder of Queens College
in 1340 was Robert de Eglesfield who was Chaplain to Queen
Phillipa,wife of Edward III, and came of a family which took
its name from a place near Cockermouth. In the Statutes of
the College, Robert de Eglesfield arranged for preference to
be given in the choice of scholars and fellows to natives of
Cumberland and Westmorland. . No doubt John Mosse obtained one
of these scholarships. While he was at the University John
was ordained, perhaps to help him with his expenses at Oxford.
The Bishop of Lincoln ordained him in Buckden Church,
Huntingdonshire on 6th March 1736 as Deacon and he was
Priested 18th December 1737. As a Deacon he was licensed to
the Curacy of Horsenden,Bucks.
John Mosse,A.B.signed as
Curate of Little Missendon, Bucks in 1739 and remained there
until 1750. During this time he proceeded to B.C.L. 17th
October 1746 and D.C.L. 25th June 1747. On 17th July 1750
he was instituted to the Rectory of Great Hampden and on 24th January
1752 to the Vicarage of Great Kimble,Bucks, and held
both these livings until his death at Great Hampden on 20th February
1785. He was buried at Great Hampden 25th February
1785, and there is a monument to his memory in the Church there.
John Mosse married, firstly
Jane, whose surname, date and place of marriage are unknown.
She was buried at Great Hampden 8th November 1751, and there
is a memorial for her in the Church. John’s second wife was
Anna Maria, daughter of the Rev.Benjamin Reynolds, Rector of
Haggeston,Bucks. This marriage took place on 11th November
1755 at Haggeston and there was a son Benjamin who was
baptized at Great Hampden 17th October 1758. He matriculated
at Queens College, Oxford 10th October 1769,proceeded to B.A.
in 1773 and M.A. in 1776. He was ordained Deacon 19th
September 1779 at Buckden Hunts, and was a Fellow of his
College for eleven years until 15th November 1787.
He married and had one son. He was buried at Wool in Dorset-
shire 4th October 1809. Anna Maria was buried at
Great Hampden 1st February 1779 and there is a memorial for
her in the Church.
By his first wife, Jane,
John Mosse had nine children :-
1. George, who died an infant and was buried at
Great Hampden 17th May 1741.
2. Elizabeth,baptized 12th October 1741; buried
17th July 1760.
3. Robert George, baptized 28th April 1743;buried
5th May 1743.