VII. Odds and Ends
The different ways in which an author may arrive at the events which he describes may be summarised as
(1) Author observed the events himself: EYEWITNESS
(2) Author heard about the events from someone else: ORAL TRADITION
(3) Author read about the events in something someone else had written: WRITTEN TRADITION
(4) Author made it all up: FABRICATION
According to the assured results of modern scholarship, our four evangelists may then be classified by the
way in which they exemplify the above schema, as:
(1) Matthew (2) Mark (3) Luke (4) John.
B/W 6.12.02, am.